For most people, every time they think of jewelry, it is precious stones and metals. But, do you know that you can use fabric and your sewing machine to come up with bespoke jewelry? After reading this article, you will never look at old clothing in the same way. Instead of getting rid of them, you will be thinking about your next jewelry-making project.
Instead of having a plain neckline, how about embellishing it to make it more interesting? Adding jewelry to clothes is a simple job that even beginners can easily handle. You could, for example, have stylish adornments instead of buttons. You could also incorporate beads or metallic embellishments to the outfit. Explore whatever trend is happening with the type of jewelry you use. You could add a touch of vintage or contemporary depending on what you buy. Before you go shopping, check what is in your jewelry box; it could save you some cash.
Jewelry made from fabric always adds an interesting twist to an outfit. It could be a neck piece, headpiece, or even bracelet.
You can have the same look-and-feel for sandals or a fancy pair of shoes. The right combination of embroidery and metallic pieces or beads will result in a conversation piece, statement jewelry.
Some ideas you can try include:
- Wrapping wooden beads with your favorite fabric and then combining them to form a chain, necklace, or bracelet. Another option is to use your sewing machine to sew a loop with your favorite fabric. Now, feed in the beads and twist the loop after each one. You will have a succession of beads covered with the fabric.
Big brands such as Louis Vuitton have embraced the idea, and some of the pieces are almost hitting the $1000 mark. Wouldn’t it be cool to have the same thing at a negligible cost because you did it yourself?
- Fabric and chains – Use your sewing machine to sew strips of fabric, and then weave the fabric through a chain with large holes. Go as crazy as you wish on the fabric design or color for a more interesting look.
- Remove the string on your choker and instead, use loops of fabric. The best part about it is you can keep on switching it up for more variety depending on what you are wearing.
- Use wire and balls of fabric to create a chain effect. You can make a belt, necklace, or bracelet.
- Use your creativity to make chains out of fabric. You will follow the concept of a real chain only instead of metal; you will use the material to create a chain effect. The more the color combinations, the better the overall look.
- Create interesting shapes out of scraps of material. You will, for example, find some fantastic tutorials on how to make flowers using material. You can then join them together for a fabric rosette necklace.
- Embellish your stud earrings with scraps of fabric.
- Do you have an old t-shirt that you love but can no longer wear? If yes, do not throw it out. Sew fabric loops with your sewing machine, and then drape them over your neck into a statement necklace. Join the loops together so that it looks something like a scarf. If you are really daring and like jewelry that make a statement, you can go as big as you want.
We have looked at ways you can combine jewelry-making and sewing. I’m upgrading my sewing machine from shelikestosew.com. You are only limited by how much you let your creativity run wild. Use your sewing machine and pieces of jewelry to come up with interesting designs. You have many resources available online that will give you step-by-step guidelines on how to use scraps of material.